Thursday 21 June 2012

A fashion staple...

What a wet, miserable week it is in London town. Two maxi skirts and three pairs of sodden flats later, this weather really limits my fashion choices, as I imagine it does any other fashion conscious lady out there. 

So - in a hot, muggy city climate such as London, what do you wear to combat the horrible weather and make for a non sweaty betty, whilst being style conscious at the same? Why, the classic white shirt of course. 

It started when I stole my mum's white work shirt at the age of 14. When paired with my blue skinny jeans and metallic 'Sienna Miller' - esque sandals, I loved the lady-like way in which it made me appear, even in my school days. Now I take to nicking my boyfriend's white shirt, and when working as a professional in London, it really helps to be able to project a sense of professionalism yet still retaining that creative air that works in my field. Therefore, I mix up my white shirt these days with chunky, gangster necklaces (a style staple of mines) with zebra print skirts, metallic shoes and fruit print leggings. 

Pioneered by the likes of Coco Chanel, the white shirt has the ability to tone down an outfit, add a sense of effortless 'chic' cool and enable a woman to go from work to club, the choices a classic white shirt offers are endless. From Coco to an Olsen, any female can wear this shirt instilling a sense of confidence rarely found in any other fashion item in their closet...

Fashion pioneer and icon Coco Chanel 
Elizabeth Olsen 

See some Glorious Garments tips below on what to pair your classic white shirt with, dependent on the look you're after:

Quirky cool:

Combine your white shirt with pattern and colour to get the right quirky cool look. Team with big, bold necklaces - if you're feeling daring even pair with a neon fabric neck piece. If you've been keeping a fashion eye on the catwalk, cow print (YES, cow print) is set to dominate. A white shirt would work really well with this print, or dalmatian print, as the bold pattern can sometimes dominate so mute it with a plain white shirt and simple accessorising...

Ashish cow print skirt SS 2011 (imagine avec white shirt)

H&M neon necklace

Classic chic:

Imagine you wake up as Rachel Zoe. What would be the first you would do? Raid your own wardrobe and spend all day looking at your amazing jewellery collection. I know I would. But secondly, you would wake up as the epitome of how to make simple look amazing. Pair a toned down outfit with the right accessories and colour palate and there you have the key to fashion success.

Wear your classic white shirt with black cigarette pants a la Zoe, and pair with either a great pair of shoes or some amazing cuffs or necklace. Either or, that is the rule here - too much you just take the look away from chic into eek. 

Alternatively, a really simple classic look is leave your white shirt slightly open at the top and iron  the lapels upwards and pair with dark berry lipstick with black stilettos, a la Olsen. That is one of my ultimate favourite looks, and is my ultimate go-to on a day I need a wee boost...

Rachel Zoe Collection

Olsen looking chic - standard

Dominatrix:

Another look to achieve with a classic white shirt is the dominatrix look. Many are quite fearful of this trend, however trust me - once you go leather and latex, you can't go back. Don your white shirt with a black pencil skirt a la Maggie Gyllenhaal in one of my favourite films 'Secretary'. Ok, maybe don't pair with whips and chains, but with dark red lipstick and a simple hair do, this look is really powerful. In a world where it's all about attention grabbing fashion, an outfit that is as simplistic a palatte as this, really works and is one of ultimate favourite fashion looks...

Maggie Gyllenhaal 'Secretary'
So there you have it! My way to achieve amazing style with your boyfriend's white shirt whilst staying practical at the same time. Be sure to visit all the high street stores at the moment, they are always white shirt stocked a plenty. 

Now, I'm off to scout out my whips to wear with my white shirt at work tomorrow...

Emma x

1 comment:

  1. Love the H&M necklace, great post!

    Kylie x
    www.smileitsfashion.com

    ReplyDelete